But despite the museum, Rothenburg was a wonderful city and I was sad that we only got to spend one day there. We arrived in Erfurt on the evening of the 18th and spent the next day walking around the city. We took a tour auf Deutsch of the Augustinian monestary, which is were Luther was a monk for 6 years. So although it was cool to see, we didn't exactly get much out of it. There was a lady who translated the most important parts for us.
A bad picture of the cloister
Luther's cell
The monks would eat on the same side of the table because they were not allowed to talk and if they sat opposite each other they might try to comunicate with each other through their expressions. The monks carried their spoon with them all day, all the time and it was only taken away from them when they died. So having your spoon taken away was another way of saying you were dead.
I would tell you other interesting facts except, as I said before, the tour was in German so that was really about all I actually understood from the tour.








I think the real reason they all sat on the same side of the table is because otherwise they were always flipping peas at each other with those nifty death spoons.
ReplyDeleteAbby's wearing my shirt!!!!! And very cool! (except that part about the cruel punishment is really sad)
ReplyDelete