Winter still has us grasped in her icy fingers, trying hard to prevent Spring from tearing us away. Today it snowed for while, none of it surviving contact with the warm earth. Slowly, slowly the world is warming up, running away from the season that has held it tight these last months. As for me, you already know that I'm sad to see the snow gone and the temperatures rising. But budding trees and lunch outside and the deep colors after a rainfall certainly ease the passing. I don't have a quarrel with Spring, despite the fact that it is she who steals away my dear Winter. Rather, it is her devoted follower whom I am at odds with; Summer, that season which brings unbearable heat and swarming bugs and red hot sunburns. For now I am relishing in the last few tastes of winter before the long wait for her return and trying to ignore the looming shadow of summer in the distance. My dear Winter, I will be avidly counting down the days till your return.
Sunday, 13 April 2014
Winter's Loosening Grasp
Winter still has us grasped in her icy fingers, trying hard to prevent Spring from tearing us away. Today it snowed for while, none of it surviving contact with the warm earth. Slowly, slowly the world is warming up, running away from the season that has held it tight these last months. As for me, you already know that I'm sad to see the snow gone and the temperatures rising. But budding trees and lunch outside and the deep colors after a rainfall certainly ease the passing. I don't have a quarrel with Spring, despite the fact that it is she who steals away my dear Winter. Rather, it is her devoted follower whom I am at odds with; Summer, that season which brings unbearable heat and swarming bugs and red hot sunburns. For now I am relishing in the last few tastes of winter before the long wait for her return and trying to ignore the looming shadow of summer in the distance. My dear Winter, I will be avidly counting down the days till your return.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







I think Winter got jealous enough that Spring let her have us back for a little bit longer. Or at least that's what happened in Iowa. It was green and sunny and 80 degrees out yesterday and gradually reverted back to white over the course of today. :)
ReplyDelete