Monday, 22 December 2014

Bakers Gonna Bake











What's a girl to do with her new found freedom from school and the endless amount of time no longer filled with homework and practicing? Why, bake cookies of course! In the past three days, I've made nine different kinds of cookies, ranging from sugar to gingerbread to almond stars. I've barely stepped foot out of the kitchen. I rationalize this with the thought that I haven't had the chance to bake something in about 4 months, so obviously this was long overdue. I'm just getting caught up, right?

This year, we decided to try some new German recipes, and boy was that a good idea. They all have a subtle sweetness to them that I can't get enough of. Also, so many of them have a nutty flavor that is really addicting, and I convince myself that the nuts make the cookies healthy. I tried my hand at Lebkuchen hearts as well, and while the dough was crumbly and strong willed, I managed to overcome it in the end and wound up with 24 massive heart cookies all waiting to be decorated. All of the gingerbread and sugar cookies are still waiting to be decorated as well. It looks like tomorrow will be a long day...

To break up the monotony of flour and cookie cutters, I grabbed my camera and had a bit of fun (something I tend to do a lot :P). Abby was her typical willing self and did most of the cookie cutting while I did the fun and easy job of snapping photos, standing on counters, and snitching dough. Fun tip of the day: try taking photos from above while baking. It gives the photo an interesting angle and also gives you the exhilaration of wondering whether you will fall off of the island and into a pile of cookie dough and flour.

On second thought, I don't think my mother would agree with me. Hi mom. Don't mind me. Readers, don't try this at home.

Well, try the baking part, but just not the standing-on-counters bit.

Or the stuffing-your-face-with-so-much-cookie-dough-that-you-feel-you-might-explode. That's not something I recommend either.

1 comment: