A collection of random thoughts on this five year anniversary of being in Europe
Joseph is now the same size as Sam was when we were there (as evidenced by the shirt):
Berlin, 5/28/12
Camp, 9/18/16
In fact, it's crazy to see how much we've all changed in just five years. I mean, I used to be the tallest and now I'm one away from being the shortest.
Berlin, 5/28/12
Berlin, 5/27/12
Home, 10/15/16
In those five years two of us have started and graduated college, the three youngest kids started working at Kamp Dels and the three oldest started working at Pizza Ranch, the three youngest were confirmed, Ellie's been back to Germany, and I became both a wife and a mom.
Oh and we also gained a German sister:
Bemidji, 8/16/15
I understand German significanlty better now, I understand Latin better (not nearly as significantly because I've been proficient at Latin for many years now whereas I barely knew German at all when we were there).
Rome, 5/9/12
My photography has also greatly improved, although my dear Watson is still the one accompanying me on my photographic adventures.
Reutte, 5/14/12
Minneopa State Park, 10/10/15
But even though my photography has improved, the pictures I took in Europe are still some of my favorites of all time:
Wittenberg, 5/25/12
Rome, 5/9/12
Reutte, 5/17/12
I haven't been on a plane since going to Europe and back again.
MSP Airport, 5/7/12
Rainy spring days still remind me of this rainy day eating Apple Strudel and exploring Salzburg:
Salzburg, 5/12/12
Salzburg, 5/12/12
And while we're on the topic, I'll never stop missing all the delicious foods. The ice cream, the pizza, the döner kebabs, the brats, the gelato, the mother's day meal mom remembers every year...
Reutte, 5/16/12
I'll also never stop missing the mountains and the castles and the churches and wandering through the city Rome, and down the main street in Wittenberg and sitting on the steps in Erfurt, and all of our amazing adventures. I'll always remember how Ascension day was celebrated with a high mass and a parade, how there was a three and a half hour service on Pentecost with fourteen baptisms, and how we all forgot it was Memorial Day exactly five years ago today until we saw the American flag at the embassy at half mast. That was our last full day in Germany and our last full day in Europe, and it will always be a day of remembering for me (though not in the way that's meant by the title "Memorial Day") because even after five years that amazing trip is still fresh in my mind and still one of the best times of my life.
Berlin, Memorial Day, 5/28/12

















No comments:
Post a Comment