Saturday, 31 March 2018

Looking to the Resurrection



Rest well, you blessed limbs,
now I will no longer mourn you,
rest well and bring me also to peace!
The grave that is allotted to you
and encloses no further suffering,
opens heaven for me and closes off Hell.

Lord, let at last Thine angels come,
To Abram's bosom bear me home,
That I may die unfearing;
And in its narrow chamber keep
My body safe in peaceful sleep
Until Thy reappearing.
And then from death awaken me
That these mine eyes with joy may see,
O Son of God, Thy glorious face,
My Savior and my fount of grace,
Lord Jesus Christ, my prayer attend, my prayer attend,
And I will praise Thee without end.

The entirety of Bach's St. John's Passion is outstanding, but the ending is particularly beautiful and fitting. It includes a setting of one of my absolute favorite hymn verses. You can listen to it here (and if you have three hours, you should look up the rest of it and listen as well).

No comments:

Post a Comment