Monday, 30 January 2012

London part 2



After Westminster Abbey we went straight to Buckingham Palace, where there was already quite the crowd waiting for the changing of the guard. The ceremony took 45 minutes and though I started a ways away from the gate, by the end of that time I had a spot right up at the gate. I'm not sure why, but many people left before it was over, which was why I could get closer to the action. There were two marching bands of (I think) guards that played music the whole time. I was going to take lots of pictures, but somehow, my camera got switched off centre focus and onto auto focus and I just could not make it focus on the guards. I wasn't happy. But then I figured out what was the problem and fixed it, and by that time I was by the gate anyway. So here are a few from when the ceremony was right about done.


After the changing of the guard we grabbed some lunch at a hotdog stand and made our way to the British Museum.




Let me just say that the British Museum is massive and you could spend months in there. We only had 3 hours to spend though, so I had to make choices. Being somewhat of an ancient history geek, I choose the ancients section. So we spent all three hours going through the Egypt, Greece and Rome sections. It was so cool. But for me, it was like letting a kid loose in a candy store. I think I took upwards of 300 pictures in there... :) Seeing as there is no way I could fit those in one post, I'll only post some of the highlights.


After the British Museum we made our way to St. Paul's Cathedral, where we went to Evensong. We weren't allowed to take pictures in there either, so I just have pictures of the outside. St. Paul's is said to be one of the largest churches in the world, and I certainly wouldn't doubt it.


After evensong we took a double-decker bus to London Tower and got some shots of it and the Tower Bridge at night. I thought it was really fun to take those pictures, and I really like the way most of them turned out. My first few tries didn't exactly work, but after that I got the hang of it.

And then we made our way back to Cambridge. We got back at about 9:30. It was a long day, but it was well worth it. London is definitely a place I would love to go see again. You could spend a whole vacation in London alone and never run out of things to do.

P.S. I've noticed that for some reason you can't click on these pictures to make them larger. I don't know why that is. My theory is that it's because when I upload pictures it always uploads them to the top of my post and I have to copy and paste them down where I want them. But I don't know how to get the pictures to upload to the spot where I want them. So, all you people who actually know how to work blogger, any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. Your night pictures are awesome! Great job! I'll answer your post-picture question later.

    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me want to go back. I remember London vividly, even though it was oh... 27 years ago, or so. :) I got three days (sort of, one of them was arrival), but it was AWESOME. Funny, your Buckingham Palace pics look an awful lot like mine. ;) Through the fence. ;)

    ReplyDelete