Wednesday, 25 January 2012

Of Airplanes and Pubs and Detainees too.

So I am in England. Yes, I made it safely here. Yes the flight went well. I got all three middle seats to myself. YAY! That means that I slept basically all night. And it wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as expected. The I woke up about 2 hours before landing, but I couldn't see anything out the window except the wings and the clouds. I ate breakfast (a banana and an egg-muffin sandwich) and watched Cars. :) Since I had all three seats I turned one of the TVs on to Cars and the other on to the moving map that shows where you are flying. Then the plane started its descent and the TVs turned off. So I tried to watch out the window but I couldn't see anything until right before we hit the ground.

Sorry that I have no pictures of the flight, they don't let you use any electronics during ascent or descent and I couldn't take pictures of my food or the TV in the back of the seat because I was way too close to them to let my camera focus.

Anyway, then we got off the plane and went through customs, where I was detained because I was an unaccompanied minor. Which consisted of having a lot of questions asked and then sitting in a room that looks remarkably like a waiting room for children at the doctor's office. And then waiting and waiting and waiting for them to finish whatever it was they had to do. I didn't get through till about 3:00 even though the plane landed at 11:22. Then I messaged my sister through my iPod, switched my bus ticket (which I missed cause I was detained) and then hopped on the 3:30 coach to Cambridge. I got there at about 7:30, met up with Jonathan, and then took a cab to their house about 3 minutes away. Jonathan followed on bike. Then I said hi to Rachel, they gave me the tour of the house, I had some strawberries (which make any day better), salad, and fresh-out-of-the-oven bread, and then unpacked and went to bed. It was a long day.

Today we went on a walk through Cambridge, and got the lay of the land. Cambridge is huge, and there are quite a few places there that are older than the US. The buildings are gorgeous and there are twice as many bikes as there are cars on the streets. And speaking of streets, the sidewalks are cobblestone. And the street is too, sometimes.

We had lunch in The Eagle pub. We sat at the spot were Francis Crick and James Watson made the first public announcement of the discovery of DNA. Yes, quite a lot of famous people had connections with Cambridge. I had a baked potato with cheddar cheese and a salad. I also had some chips (aka french fries) and I found a much better way to eat them than with ketchup- salted, with malt vinegar and mayonnaise. Yes, it may not sound good. But yes, it is delicious. I did take pictures there but it's getting so late that I am going to push off posting them until later.

So, that was how my flight and first day in Cambridge went. The flight turned out to be pretty uneventful and much less intimidating than I thought it would be. Customs? Not so much...

Anywho, expect a post soon on everyday things that are different here than in America. Go ahead and guess about some of them!

7 comments:

  1. Lovely. I'm delighted to read all about it and I patiently await the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That mayonnaise mixture actually sounds really good! It sounds like you're having a great time, and I hope to be able to read and see pictures soon!
    luv you!
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and did you get your passport stamped?

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!!! Glad you had a safe flight!!! Can't wait to hear more from Egland!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha I love how you used the word "detainee." Reminds me of in National Treasure when the guy was like, "Oi! Where are my detainees!" hahaha. I'm glad you got safely to England! You must have been freaked out about missing your bus and being held up though. I would have been! And the food sounds great! Hope you're having fun!
    ~Chloe :) (you-know-who)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow at least you got through the mix-ups and the questions!! I'm glad you got there safely!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mom, yes I did get my passport stamped. They did it for me without asking. So that was nice.
    Chloe- That was basically the only funny part of the whole situation. I actually thought of that while I was sitting there wondering when I'd ever get out. :)

    ReplyDelete