Traveling to England is nice because there is no language barrier. Sure, they have an accent and sometimes you have to pay extremely close attention when they're talking quickly, but it isn't like going to other countries where everyone is speaking a language you don't understand.
That being said, there are words here that will throw an unknowing tourist off guard. For example...
Perambulator = Stroller
Chips = French Fries
Crisps = Chips
Coriander = Cilantro
Courgette = Zucchini
Cabinet = Closet where you hang up coats
Coach = Bus
Of course, these are just a few of the words. Probably you have heard of most of these, I had heard of them before I came here. Except the zucchini thing. What on earth...?
As if that is NOT enough though, words here may look perfectly easy to pronounce. But DO NOT BE DECEIVED.
Magdalen College, Cambridge, you would logically expect to be pronounced MAG-duh-lin. No. It is, instead MAUD-lin college. Okay, you say, that's a little strange but I knew that. And indeed you may have, but beware when you go to Oxford and then to Magdalen College there. Because there you pronounce it the first way.
Confusing no? But it gets better. How would you pronounce this word. Leichester. Would you say LIE-kess-ter? LIE-chess-ter? lie-KESS-ter? Unless you are British (or someone told you), I am 100% sure you didn't guess right. Lester. That's how you say it. Lester. As in leave-out-one-whole-syllable Lester.
Anyways, despite these little things, language here is no problem. Of course, there is this strange thing that people seem to know I am an American tourist as soon as I start talking. Inexplicable! :)
Hahah ;) sounds like your having lots of fun!!!!! And yes that zucchini thing is very weird!!
ReplyDeleteHaha this is funny! The word differences can be tricky. I'm Irish, but I lived in America for a while when I was little, and my friends are always baffled by the differences, especially the jelly-jello, jam-jelly thing.
ReplyDeleteIrish and English say things the same mostly. We don't actually say perambulator- we say pram or buggy. :) I didn't know cilantro was coriander, that's so interesting! We say wardrobe instead of closet, we say bus as well, but some people do say coach. I say bus though! :)
Orla, That's very interesting! Yes, I would say most people shorten it to pram here, as far as I have heard, but I've heard a few say perambulator. Also, I just heard a new one when we were shopping for Orange Juice- Pulp is called bits. Maybe it's just me, but that sounds a little disturbing. :)
ReplyDelete