Favorite City?
I liked a lot of different cities for different reasons. Reutte because we were right in the middle of the Alps. I hadn't realized that when we made our reservations. That was a totally wonderful surprise. Wittenberg will always be a favorite. I loved how we just walked around, exploring the Castle Church and the City Church multiple times, not to mention shopping in the shops, eating at the sidewalk cafe's, and watching the people of Wittenberg in their daily lives. But I think that Erfurt would be the city I pick as my favorite. I really enjoyed walking all around the old city, eating at the brat stand and having ice-cream on the steps of the church where my favorite crucifix is located. Not to mention the nice day trips we took from there. I do think this was the first time on our trip it felt like we were part of the surroundings, living amongst the Germans.
One place you wish you had stayed longer?
I think I would have liked to stay and explore Muhlhaussen. We only toured it with Pr. Kalensee. What a treat to see another medieval city. I also would have liked to stay in Rome and Berlin longer. And also Leipzig, we barely saw anything other than Bach's church and home.
Favorite food?
I think the Donner Kabobs and Gelatto and Italian Pizza, along with the good German beer all rank as favorite foods. My favorite meal is still my Mother's Day meal in Reutte, which included that delicious steak.
One of the coolest things you saw?
The Colosseum and Palatine Hill
Something you remember being different from America?
How everyone ate outside and so much later than typical Americans. More foods were kept at room temperature than the typical American is comfortable doing. The water pressure was fine, but again, not as strong as what we expect in America. The common thing is to eat on real plates with real silverware - not a grab and go like the American fast food culture.
What was your favorite purchase?
I think it would have to be our crucifix.
Something that you thought was funny on our trip?
That we had those gigantic apartments in Rothenburg for one night while in Erfurt we all slept in the same room for 4 nights.
What was the prettiest thing you saw?
The lovely linens!
What is one of your favorite memories?
Waking up in Rome, walking around with my family in the ancient Roman sites, not hardly believing that it was real.
How were the plane rides?
I thought they were quite enjoyable. I was glad that everyone seemed to have an easy time and that we all were able to sleep and not suffer from jet lag too baldly.
How was the train ride?
One of my favorite memories! It was what I had imagined - riding through the country side of Italy, enjoying the scenery. Meeting new friends who helped chat away the time was very nice.
What was your favorite museum/object in a museum?
I think I will say the Pergamon Museum as my favorite and the Pergamon altar and the Ishtar Gate of Babylon. I was amazed that these pieces existed after so many centuries and I was standing there looking at them and touching them.
Anything else you want to say?
This trip was all and more than I ever thought. I still am amazed at how well everything turned out and how few problems we actually encountered. It was so fantastic that I now have dreams of going back with the family another time. I also loved that one Donner Kabob restaurant in Eisleben. Remember the wonderful Turkish family who ran the store and where so helpful to our family? And that Sam only wanted "fleisch" and the amount of meat on his sandwich amazed us all. That family was so generous to ours and the food was so delicious.
No comments:
Post a Comment