Wednesday, 8 May 2013

Roma



Rome's Skyline





There are columns EVERYWHERE

Where St. Peter and St. Paul were held prisoner


Brickwork in the Colosseum

The arena

The real name for the Colosseum, and the one Romans would have used, is the Amphitheatrum Flavium

The Arch of Constantine from the Colosseum

Us!


Tile that the Caesars had in their houses and would have walked on  (!!!!)



On Palatine Hill 

The ruins of the emperors' houses


Inside the Arch of Titus, showing the Roman soldiers carrying away the candelabra from the Temple in Jerusalem

The gardens where the Vestal Virgins lived



Us with our tour guide, Martia





Romulus and Remus

The roof of the Pantheon


The Pantheon


The crowds at the Trevi Fountain





Lounging on the Spanish Steps

Even all these photos don't show everything we saw or did on our first two days in Rome.  They were jam-packed with sightseeing and walking but we never regretted for a second those long days.  I remember sitting down for supper and just feeling my feet ache from the miles we must have walked.  It was hot, and we all got sunburned.  But now, one year later, it's not really any of these things that I remember.  I remember the first time I saw the Colosseum, and just staring at it unable to believe that it was actually there right in front of me.  I remember our tour guide Martia's accent and cadence.  I remember eating Pizza Margherita and Gelato every day (sometimes multiple times a day).  I remember walking on the tiles on Palatine hill and being struck by the fact that these very same tiles were once walked over by Caesars.  I remember the umbrella trees, and the water fountains, and the Latin and the rows and rows of busts in the museums.  We only spent three days in Rome, but even one day was sufficient for the Eternal City to steal my heart.  

3 comments:

  1. Ohhhh! So pretty! I would give a pretty penny to go to Rome... or any city in Europe really... #neverleftthecountryinmylife :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic! I just finished reading The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan, and since they visit Rome, I read about a lot of these places! So awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morgan and I dream of visiting foreign countries someday. Italy and Germany are on the list, along with Austria and Australia, but if the only one we ever get to visit is New Zealand, I think it would be sufficient. :)

    Grace

    Also, Pizza Margherita sounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete