Monday, 25 November 2013

Middle Earth Challenge (Days 22-25)


Day 22: Favorite In-Book Song
A tie (aren't all of my favorites ties?) between:


Bilbo's Last Song
Day is ended, dim my eyes,
But journey long before me lies.
Farewell, friends! I hear the call.
The ship's beside the stony wall.
Foam is white and waves are grey;
beyond the sunset leads my way.
Foam is salt, the wind is free;
I hear the rising of the sea.

Farewell, friends! The sails are set,
the wind is east, the moorings fret.
Shadows long before me lie,
beneath the ever-bending sky,
but islands lie behind the Sun
that i shall raise ere all is done;
lands there are to west of West,
where night is quiet and sleep is rest.

Guided by the Lonely Star,
beyond the utmost harbour-bar,
I'll find the heavens fair and free,
and beaches of the Starlit Sea.
Ship my ship! I seek the West,
and fields and mountains ever blest.
Farewell to Middle-earth at last.
I see the star above my mast!
and Beren's Song about Luthien

Farewell sweet earth and northern sky,

for ever blest, since here did lie
and here with lissom limbs did run
beneath the Moon, beneath the Sun,
Luthien Tinuviel
more fair than mortal tongue can tell.
Though all to ruin fell the world
and were dissolved and backward hurled
unmade into the old abyss,
yet were its making good, for this-
the dusk, the dawn, the earth, the sea-
that Luthien for a time should be. 


Day 23: Favorite Soundtrack Song
For goodness sake how am I supposed to pick a favorite out of literally hundreds of choices?  I'm practically married to these soundtracks.  There's the quintessential Concerning Hobbits, the Irish dance Flaming Red Hair from Bilbo's party (which should have been on the cd), the horribly sad Breaking of the Fellowship, the song Evenstar which is just as beautiful as Arwen, the extremely epic and goose bump inducing Forth Eorlingas, there's my favorite violin piece The King of the Golden Hall, Pippin's chilling song in The Steward of Gondor, and then the solid block of pure epicness that is Hope Fails, The Black Gate Opens, The End of All Things, The Return of the King, and The Grey Havens.  And that's not counting the extended soundtracks!  I listen to these soundtracks daily and I never get tired of them.  Howard Shore deserves all the awards ever.  He is a genius.

Day 24: Best 'One Does Not Simply'
I don't have a favorite off hand but I found this one and it's pretty darn true:

Day 25: Epic Actor's Saying
We were sitting there talking and drinking beer, and someone said, "Oh, look who walked in." It was Professor Tolkien, and I nearly fell off my chair. I didn't even know he was alive. He was a benign looking man, smoking a pipe, walking in, an English countryman with earth under his feet. And he was a genius, a man of incredible intellectual knowledge. He knew somebody in our group. He (the man in the group) said "Oh Professor, Professor..." And he came over. And each one of us, well I knelt of course, each one of us said "how do you do?" And I just said "Ho.. How.. How..." -Christopher Lee on meeting Tolkien

2 comments:

  1. The quote from Christopher Lee made me happy :) I wish I could've met Tolkien...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quote from Christopher Lee made me happy :) I wish I could've met Tolkien...

    ReplyDelete