Saturday, 22 March 2014

Faceless









"The question of why I don’t show faces in my photos comes up a lot. It’s not something I set out to do, but the mystery and anonymity allows me to tell stories that are more universal. A faceless woman can be anyone, and that’s exciting.  It could be the viewer, it could be someone they know, whatever they want it to be. And that’s really a goal of mine, to be able to move people in some kind of way. When someone says my photo has made them feel something, it’s the highest compliment I could ever receive." -Patty Maher


Lately I've been intrigued and inspired by the depth and mystery to faceless photos. The eyes are said to be the gateway to the soul, and I often focus on them in my photos, but occasionally you can say more in a photo by deliberately not including them. It can be a bit difficult at times, because naturally we are drawn to the faces of other people, but when the faces are excluded the viewer is free to notice other details that may have gone overlooked. And it gives an air of mystery and detachment to the photos. This is the first time I've really experimented with faceless portraits and I must admit I like the feel of them. I'm looking forward to trying more in the future.

1 comment: