Saturday, 24 January 2015

A Post of Three









I like remembering significant dates. I'm that weird person who feels like she ought to celebrate even the weirdest of occasions. Aragorn's birthday? Better make cupcakes. The day Lewis and Tolkien met? Better observe by reading. Pi day? You bet I'm eating pie. The Ides of March? I couldn't consider myself a proper classics nerd if I didn't make a Caesar comment at least once. As for today, well, this marks the beginning of my three week stay in England.

It's been three years already. I can barely believe it. Three years since I boarded that plane to Heathrow with nothing but the Return of the King to keep me company on the long trip. I still can't believe I had the opportunity to go and see/do/experience/eat/try/live all the things I did.

Let's face it. I didn't have any idea what I was doing with my camera for most of my trip. I have to go through twenty or so photos just to find one worth posting. However, I still love my photos from this trip, each one a little slice of memory, and I will continue posting them until kingdom come.

Today I had a tea party with my friends over lunch, and I had another cup of tea a few minutes ago (it's all gone now, just wait a minute while I put more water on....)

What was I saying? Oh yes, tea. Well, it struck me yet again that if it weren't for those three weeks three years ago I wouldn't be the same person I am today, at all. I mean, I wouldn't be consuming three cups of tea a day, for one thing. For another, I wouldn't know what it's like to walk around by myself in a huge, ancient, beautiful city, taking in the sights and trying new foods and exploring new paths, with my family thousands of miles away from me and six hours behind me. And I wouldn't be so head over heels in love with Europe that I impulsively check plane tickets regardless of the fact that I am a broke college student.

And I would never have been detained or been fingerprinted or had a mug shot taken. So there's that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment