Monday, 23 May 2016

A Proposal Story











It was Saturday. Exactly one month ago today. I had finished my senior composition recital, and it was a really good concert. The performers were ready, the crowd was large, and the music was beautiful. Then, we went out for a walk. The same state park that I went to for an early morning birthday adventure with friends was the state park Nick and I were exploring that day. I had my camera out (duh) and was snapping pictures of the flowering trees and the silent stream. Whenever it was just the two of us, Nick would try to turn the conversation to our relationship, but every time someone would inevitably turn up and the "mood" would be ruined. Most of the time it was hippies. Completely legit hippies, with bare feet and dreadlocks and weird clothes and weirder comments ("you can find such interesting things in nature"). The more it happened, the more exasperated Nick would get ("Sometimes I just really wish other people didn't exist") and I was getting the more amused. Finally, after a few failed attempts, and an almost encounter with tents ("communal tents?"), we sat down in a clearing on a rock. The hippies weren't that far off, and we both knew we couldn't count on them being absent for long. So without much ado, he proposed to me right there ("I was going to say something more romantic and planned out, but apparently we can't be alone here so I'm just going to ask you, Hannah will you marry me?"). A little wooden box + an absolutely gorgeous ring = a newly engaged couple. The ring is still the prettiest ring I have ever seen (he picked it out on his own, without knowing that it was one of two rings I had actually pinned on pinterest). It looks elvish and winter-y and beautiful and very very sparkly. You probably want to know if I was surprised, and the answer is "no, not at all." You probably are wondering if I wished he could have said something more romantic, and the answer is the same. (Nick was going to propose to me romantically even though he knew I wasn't keen on romantical proposals, and so he said he guessed I probably paid the hippies to be there). (I did not). We sat and we talked for quite a while, (Nick said we couldn't go invite the hippies to the wedding) and then we went home to tell the family, and call the relatives, and start to make plans. The ring is still the prettiest ring I have ever seen (I actually had pinned it on pinterest without him knowing, and he had picked it out independently), and we are both still just as excited and happy as that day (maybe even more so) and we're counting down the days till October.

All in all, that was a very happy day.

2 comments:

  1. Awwww! <3
    Its not the most "romantic" thing, but who's to say what's really romantic and whats not, but that is just super sweet and funny! ^_^
    I love how he said the hippies couldn't come to the wedding XD
    That ring is very beautiful, too! I agree I first though Elvish as well!
    AH, I just love love XD Can't wait for your pics of the Wedding! :D I think October is a nice month. :) God bless you both!

    ReplyDelete