Wednesday, 11 May 2016

The Pines Of Rome





One of the things you notice right away when you visit the city of Rome is the pine trees. They are not the pine trees that we North Americans are used to seeing. Instead, they are aptly nicknamed "umbrella trees" because the branches and leaves make an umbrella at the top. They are everywhere in Rome, lining the streets and giving much needed shade to the travelers who walk the ancient cobblestone ways. These trees are so iconic to the city of Rome, that the Italian composer Respighi dedicated four movements of his Roman Trilogy to the trees. Each movement is about the trees in different locations and at different times during the day.




The first, The Pines of the Villa Borghese, depicts children playing underneath the trees in the morning, singing nursery rhymes and pretending to be soldiers. The second, Pines Near a Catacomb, is slow, haunting and mournful. Famous settings of the Kyrie and Sanctus are quoted, and the low instruments are featured prominently, suggesting the underground tombs. The third, The Pines of the Janiculum, portrays the full moon shining down on the pines by the temple of Janus. Respighi recorded a nightingale singing and included it at the end of this movement. The fourth and final movement, The Pines of the Appian Way, is a triumphant march of the Roman legions into the city down the Appian way at dawn. The low notes on the organ make the ground tremble as if under the feet of all the soldiers. 

You should all listen to this piece of music and enjoy imagining (or remembering) the lovely pine trees in Rome. It's a really cool piece and it reminds me of some pretty cool memories. 

1 comment:

  1. I feel so dumb XD Because I don't remember the Pines at all! :O
    I think I was more focused on the weather because it was super hot and humid and I was almost dying x"D
    But, your pictures are lovely! And now I'd love to go back and admire them since I didn't the first time. And I love the music! I'd never heard it, but the first one is very Disney to me. Then the 2nd reminds me of a Hayao Miazaki film. That 3rd one is really soothing and just nice to listen to. And that last one! Wow!!! I can see that at the end of a movie for a battle scene! :D
    Thanks for linking that video! ^_^ I love classical music but I usually stick to the ones I already know, bad habit XD

    ReplyDelete