Thursday, 9 February 2012

English Currency



Today's post is all about English Currency.



The 1 pound doesn't come in bills- it comes in coins. This can be kind of problematic when you're trying to buy something that isn't worth much and you have to go digging through you're coin purse, but it's also pretty cool. It has different Latin sayings written on the sides- Nemo me impune lacessit and Decus et tutamen. I'm not sure if those are the only two that are printed, but of the three 1 pound coins I have, 2 had Nemo... and one had Decus...

These are the pence coins. There are 100 pence in a pound, just like our 100 cents in a dollar. From left to right you can see- 1 penny (singular of pence), 2 pence, 5 pence, 10 pence, 20 pence, and 50 pence.
Here you can see the backs of the coins in the same order.

These are the 5 pound and 20 pound bills, with an American ten on top so you can compare the sizes. I didn't have a 10 pound bill, so there isn't a picture of that one.

The backs of the 5 and 20 pound bill. For those wondering, as of right now the pound is equal to $1.5898. So


Here are some more views of the coins. I put a picture of me holding the 20p coin and the 1 pound coin so you can see how big they are.

Fun fact!!! Brits will sometimes say 100 quid instead of 100 pounds, just like we often say 100 bucks instead of 100 dollars.

Fun fact!!! A farthing was an old British coin worth 1 quarter penny. They ceased being legal tender in 1960. A shilling was a coin worth 1/20 pound and equal to 12 pence. At the time, therefore, the pound was equal to 240p. In 1972 the shilling was superseded by the 5p coin and the pound became worth 100 pence.

If you are interested in learning more you can check this link and read more about British currency from the source of all knowledge- namely, Wikipedia. :)


3 comments:

  1. those sideways coin pictures were amazing my dear. I can't believe you did that without editing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, tut tut, Ellie, you underestimate the power of your older sister. :) How could they *not* be awesome, after all, I took them. :)

    Just kidding. I'm glad you think they're good though, it took me a couple tries to get it to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yesterday I read to your younger brothers and sister about King Henry VIII. He wrote a book against Martin Luther and sent it to the pope who was so pleased he gave the king the title Fidei Defensor. This title was retained by the kings and queens England ever since and some of the coins have F.D. or Fid. Def. on them.

    I'm wondering if any of your coins have that or if that particular Latin phrase is no longer used. Because even though the book I read said it was, it might not be seeing as the original publishing date was 1905. :-)

    See you soon! Love you

    ReplyDelete