Monday, 6 February 2012

It looks like the weather finally agreed to be February...





I woke up on Sunday to four inches of snow. Needless to say I was excited. Winter is my absolute favourite season, and it just doesn't feel like winter without snow. And even though 4 inches isn't much, a little is better than none, no?

Oh, but it isn't just a little for the people of Cambridge. It rarely snows here, and when it does, it rarely snows more than a couple inches. People treat just the idea of getting snow as a reason to cancel activities and 4 inches of snow means that the streets are deserted and even the buses and taxis stop. Also, they don't have snow ploughs here. So the streets aren't ploughed. And only a few people have snow shovels, so people use gardening spades, buckets, and my personal favourite- dust pans. :) I must admit, it's been rather amusing to see what just a little snow can do here. But I'm probably just as excited as the kids here. Well, maybe not that excited. I've never seen so many snowmen in my life. It's wonderful.

Then again, you never see snowmen quite the same way once you read Calvin and Hobbes. :)

3 comments:

  1. I love that comic strip!!! And the garden spade's my favourite, that must look hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Calvin and Hobbes! Glad you got some snow! Virginia and, rather surprisingly, Denver treat snow the same way. Denver because, while they get it often enough, it melts off w/in a week or so, a woman I know here told me that the "Solar System" takes care of the snow. I'm fairly certain she meant solar power, but you never quite know with her.... Gone native on the spelling too. :) Good girl. :) - Mrs Wolf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, gone native or just using a computer set to British spell check... same thing, right? :)

    ReplyDelete