Thursday, 22 March 2012

The Farm


Today a place I've known my whole life became a place that's no longer family's.


The farm. That's what we always call it. Where Grandpa and Grandma have lived ever since they were married. Where my dad and his siblings grew up. The place I've always known as my Grandparent's. And today it was sold.

The cousins at the 40th anniversary having a picnic. I'm the one in purple putting something (I believe it's a grape) in my mouth

My cousin Cora in the fort we built long, long ago
My cousin Cora, me, and Abby now, at the same fort


I have so many memories of this place. From way back when I was scared to walk past the wolf skin that hung in the upstairs hallway, to the 40th Anniversary (9 years ago) when all the grandkids built forts in the woods that are still standing this day. There's the old barn which for the longest time we were afraid would fall down on us, and the grove which we used to think was miles long. I still remember the first time we ever went through the whole thing and we thought we were super cool. Then there was the upstairs hallway with all the dress up clothes and the creaky floors. I remember riding in the tractor and the combine and riding on the brute cycle. And I remember so many other things, that no list would be long enough to contain.


It's bittersweet, you see, because now my Grandpa and Grandma live just a couple blocks away from me. And we get to see them all the time. But nevertheless I'm pretty sure it's a whole lot more bitter than sweet. Because I'll always think of the Farm when I think of Grandpa and Grandma's.

2 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. My dad just sold his house, which he'd owned for 53 years and where I was born, last night. We've been painting and cleaning and packing for the past few weeks, and now that will kick in even more. It's a tough process. Imagine; even a hundred years ago, people didn't move around like we do. They stayed in their homes for generations. Now some people move every year. I wonder how they handle it? My husband and I have owned 3 houses in our marriage, and lived in an apartment. Moving is no fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! :( I can't even imagine losing my Grandma's farm. My Mom grew up on the farm, and I've spent many of my summers there.
    I love these pictures. The house and the barn don't look like my Grandma's farm, but the corn-field and stick forts sure do!

    ReplyDelete