The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle I thought this was a really good book. I'll let you know right off the bat that Fantasy and Mystery are my favorite genres. So that being said, it was sort of a given that I'd like Sherlock Holmes. Personally, I think Agatha Christie is better. Also, I'll always think of England when I read this since that's where I read it for the first time. Plus, it all takes place in London.
Pride and Prejudice obviously by Jane Austen I know I said earlier (a lot earlier, actually) that you should expect more on this book. And then there was nothing. BUT here it is. I thought it was- good. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars, in fact. I like Jane Austen's style of writing. Even if you don't particularly care for the characters, she writes so well that your far from drowning in boredom. And I'll have you know, I didn't really care for any of the characters. Though I did think Mr. Bennet was hilarious. He's probably my favorite. Mr. Darcy is obviously flawed and Elizabeth is too. BUT despite all that I did enjoy it. And I probably will read it again.
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift Do not read this book. Ever, if you can help it. It was one of the absolute worst books I have ever read. If I could, I would have the book banned, because that would be the only way it would be interesting (everything seems more interesting if it's banned, you know. :P) The writing style was boring and the adventures repetitive. And I only read the first two adventures because my version of the book left out the last too. (And boy am I glad it did.) I repeat- I fail to see how this book became a classic. Because it was not fun to read.
Catching Fire and Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins Actually, I finished both of these books before I went to England. I just never posted about them. What did I think of them? They were good, but once again they weren't obsession worthy. I didn't like Mockingjay as much as the other two, it's definitely the darkest of the three. They got progressively darker, actually, kind of like Harry Potter, only it was more noticeable because there are only three books. I won't say much else on the subject though, since I know that a lot of you haven't read them.
So those are some of the books I've been reading lately. Right now, I'm reading Emma by Jane Austen for school and have to have it done by Sunday. Then it's on to Oliver Twist. And that means when we're done we get to watch the movie, starring none other than our dear friend Frodo Baggins as the Artful Dodger.
You just knew there was going to be an LotR reference in here somewhere. :)
I just finished Catching Fire today and it was great! Doesn't compare to LOTR by a long shot, though ;) Some evil person with evil intentions took out Mockingjay from the library, so I can't get it yet. :(
ReplyDeleteHaha, when I was in Grade 5 I had to read a section of Gulliver's Travels for school. And then re-write it in a modern way. I remember thinking it was kind of fun. Your reaction made me laugh, though - "Do not read this book. Ever." You're hilarious. Literally. :)
Abbie /// XOXOX
i can't wait to read the hunger games! :D
ReplyDeletehttp://anundefinedreality.blogspot.com/
http://cupofteadesigns.blogspot.com/