Sunday, 7 October 2012

The Last Enemy to be Destroyed

One week ago today my organ teacher went home to heaven.  She left behind a husband and a seven month old son.  She was only twenty four.  Anyone who says that death is just a part of life is lying through their teeth because it's not.  It's not a part of life, it's the end of life.

One of the reasons Lord of the Rings is my favorite, one of the reasons The Deathly Hallows is my favorite Harry Potter book, one of the reasons I love fantasy in general is because there is a lot of death in those stories.  The characters in the books have to deal with death all around them, stealing their loved ones and staring them in the face.  I would argue that death was the main theme behind the Harry Potter books from the start.  The last book is so, so good because it calls death what it is- the last enemy to be destroyed- but it also shows that there are worse things than death.  Voldemort was afraid to die.  Harry was not.  Ron was not.  Hermione was not.

In books you have examples laid out for you, good examples and bad.  Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter are good examples because they show you that there are things worth dying for.    They show you people who are not afraid to die.  And they also show you that death is not the end.  In every good book there is a picture of the death and resurrection of Jesus, even if it is just a tiny reflection.  You can see it in LotR in the person of Gandalf.  You can see it in Harry Potter in Harry himself.

When you see examples of someone dying without fear it helps you be able to face death without fear.  That's true about fictional characters.  It's especially true about real people.  Ruth left behind a great example of a Christian death.  She spent her last days listening to hymns and liturgy and surrounded by people she loved who constantly reminded her of Jesus' death and resurrection. But most especially, she set an example by meeting death bravely and unafraid because she knew that though it is the end of life, it is also the gate to everlasting life.

Jesus lives! And now is death
But the gate of life immortal;
This shall calm my trembling breath
When I pass its gloomy portal.
Faith shall cry, as fails each sense:
Jesus is my confidence!

3 comments:

  1. This post is awesome. I agree. I don't see death as the end of life but a gateway to a better place. I personally don't fear death. Since I know that it is invetiable it is a part of this life. For as a quote I love goes:
    PIPPIN: I didn't think it would end this way.
    GANDALF: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it.
    PIPPIN: What? Gandalf? See what?
    GANDALF: White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.
    PIPPIN: Well, that isn't so bad.
    GANDALF: No. No, it isn't.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Voronda led me to this post :)
    This is a very awesome post! I disagree with what you said though; death is a natural part of life to me. And to Yoda :P Yeah Star Wars is my favorite fandom. Death is the end, but not the end of end. You will live on in heaven.
    The meaning of Harry Potter can be pondered on and on. I have been pondering for years. That book is my favorite ever, followed closely by LOTR and later the Hunger Games. Harry, Ron, and Hermoine truly taught us a lot. Dumbledore... he said death is just life's next big adventure.
    That is why Harry Potter will be with me to my grave. I love that story so much :)
    I want to say something more meaningful, but I can't seem to think of any words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful writing, Hannah. And I agree in a way: death was never meant to be a part of life. God made a perfect world free of death and man messed that up. So, now death is a part of our lives. We have to deal with its effects in this world until Jesus comes again. And our hope is sure in what comes on that day.
    Love, your former piano teacher

    ReplyDelete