Thursday, 29 November 2012

C. S. Lewis


Today is this man's birthday.  To say I owe him a lot would be an understatement.

Where to begin? The Chronicles of Narnia have been some of my favorite books for as long as I can remember.  When I was little I used to listen to them every night before I went to bed and I listened to the Magician's Nephew so often that I could recite by memory a significant portion of the first chapter.  Now my order of favorites has changed a little and the Horse and His Boy has the number 1 spot.  As I got older I started reading his other books; The Screwtape Letters, Mere Christianity, and his Space Trilogy.  Perelandra, the second book in the trilogy remains to this day one of my favorite books.  The Screwtape Letters is hilarious, but extremely honest.

But he didn't just write these, he wrote many, many others as well.  I can't wait until the day when I have the pleasure of reading them all.  I own 8 of his books myself, The Great Divorce being the only one I have not yet read.  Someday I plan on owning all of his books.  We also owe C. S. Lewis for Middle Earth, because without him, Tolkien may never have finished the Hobbit.  And then where would we all be?


There was that day, almost a year ago now, when I got to 'meet' him and it was one of the best days of my life.  It's just... so unimaginable to stand next to someone you admire so much, even if you can't see him face to face.


So, I guess all this is to say Happy Birthday, C. S. Lewis!  Thanks for everything. ;)

p.s. what are your favorite Lewis books?
p.p.s. aren't you just infinitely jealous of everybody in New Zealand?  I mean, not only do they have British-esque accents and live in Middle Earth, they've already seen the Hobbit.  I can't think of a single downside to living there.  It's very mean of Jess to go and leave us all behind.

---14 days---

2 comments:

  1. How did I not even know this? How shameful of me. But coincidentally, I watched Shadowlands (the movie about him and Joy Gresham) that day.
    I remember when my mom read The Magician's Nephew to me when I was 7 or 8. Before that, books were just boring things with pages. But C.S. Lewis showed me that books could be like a magic pool you jump into and enter a magical world, or a wardrobe which you walk through and have all sorts of adventures. I think I would be a very different person if it had not been for him.

    And I forgot about his birthday. Wow...

    ~Nessíma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesome! The Narnia books were some of my early favorites too and they've stuck with me all these years. :)

      Delete