Tuesday, 2 July 2013

Strawberry Day






















Half of our hoard of berries












Ready to dig in!



Yesterday was my favorite day of the year.  Despite the waking up at 5:00 am, despite the constantly biting mosquitos and the jeans and shoes wet through from kneeling in straw, despite it all Strawberry Day is the best day.  I love picking the strawberries while the gorgeous morning light shines down on us.  I love eating hundreds of the delicious red berries throughout the day.  I love having frozen berries year round and homemade jelly for scones.  I love the smell of the ripe berries and the fingers stained red with the juice.  I love mom's delicious strawberry pie that is easily the best dessert I have ever eaten.    I love it all.  This year I had my camera in tow and snapped a few photos of this perfect day.  We ended the day with around 80 pounds of strawberries, 4 pies, and one extremely happy strawberry girl.

Also, the kindest thing I've ever done is share with you all the recipe for this pie.  Go make some for yourself, alright?

2 comments:

  1. Those strawberries look scrumptious!
    For some reason I've always thought strawberries ripened in Winter. Strange!
    I love the photos, especially the first and last.(:

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh! yummy! I want to go strawberry picking ever so much, but we might be going blueberry picking soon! :)

    That pie looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete